COLD BREW

I am addicted to cold brew coffee and I LOVE making it at home.  I have a few different cold brewing systems that I like.  Below I will share coffee to water ratio, some of my favorite brewing systems and how I prepare my morning cold brew drink.  Here is a great recipe for sweet cream cold foam that is also amazing on top of your cold brew!

First let's discuss coffee to water ratio.  I recommend using a course dark roast coffee.  My favorite ratio is 1:4 which is: 

1/4 cup grounds to 1 cup water
1/2 cup grounds to 2 cups water
1 cup grounds to 4 cups water  
2 cups grounds to 8 cups water 

and so on depending on the size of your brewing system.  

Making cold brew is essentially making a coffee concentrate - it is much stronger than your typical hot brewed cup of coffee.  To enjoy a cup of cold brew you mix half cold brew with either half water or half of your choice of milk.  Be creative with your cold brew and try adding it to cakes, breads, mousse, cream or cold foam for a delicious coffee flavor!  A little goes a long way!     

The first brewing system I'd like to introduce in the French press.  There are plenty sizes and styles to choose from - HERE is a nice one on amazon if you do not already own one.  You'll notice that the ounces listed do not match the cup size on the photo above.  We all know that 8 ounces of liquid equals 1 cup of liquid but the  measurements listed here are different because 1 cup of coffee from a French press is 4 oz coffee mixed with 4 oz of water or milk to equal an 8 oz cup.

3 cup press
1/4 cup grounds, fill to top with water

4 cup press
1/2 cup grounds, fill to top with water  

8 cup press
1 cup grounds, fill to top with water

12 cup press
1 1/2 cups grounds, fill to top with water

Put coffee grounds in your french press, fill the rest of the press up with cold water and stir.  You can experiment on your grounds to water ratio for your own taste.

Cover the french press with saran wrap and let steep in your fridge for 24 hours.  

When your cold brew is ready, insert the top to your french press, push the filter down, trapping the grounds at the bottom, twist the knob at the top closing the screen and blocked any grounds from escaping.  Pour your cold brew from your french press into a carafe or pitcher.  Keep your cold brew for up to a week in your fridge.

Two of my other cold brewing systems are hard to find to purchase.  One is the Crofton Cold Brew Coffee System, I purchased at Aldi for $12.99 a couple years ago, I did see that it came back to Aldi this year for $9.99 which is a great deal.  My other one I use regularly is the Pampered Chef Cold Brew Pitcher, which is no longer available for purchase but you can check out their recipes HERE.  And their cold brew simple syrup recipes HERE.  I checked amazon and it looks like this system is similar to both.  Check it out HERE.  For this size brewer I would use 1 cup grounds, let steep for 24 hours, discard grounds and store the pitcher in the fridge.

Lastly, I love my mason jar cold brewing system.  I found a few options for this online.  Here's a 64oz one on amazon HERE  or this cute 24oz one HERE and I found this one through snarky tea HERE - which brings up a great point - you can cold brew tea too!  For the 64oz jar you just need to add 1/4 cup loose tea leaves and steep in the fridge for 24 hours.  You can use any of the above methods with tea as well as fruit, vegetable and/or herb infusions too - just be sure to remove those fresh ingredients after 24 hours.  Cold Brew Tea

*You can also freeze your cold brew in an ice cube tray and use coffee ice 

My favorite way to prepare my cold brew is to fill the glass 1/2 way with ice.  Fill the glass 1/2 way with milk and the rest with cold brew.  Add a tablespoon of caramel syrup and drizzle the top with salted caramel sauce.  

You can also make homemade simple syrups.  Simple syrup is a 1:1 ratio of sugar and syrup heated up so the sugar dissolved before putting it into your drink.  I use a glass measuring cup and put a tablespoon of sugar and tablespoon of water in it, microwave for 30 seconds.  Stir it up and pour into your cold brew - pour a little at a time in case this is too much for your taste.


 

 

Other coffee recipe:

Comments