ODD FOOD


I once met a girl from Trinidad while I was in bootcamp for the Navy, she would put hot sauce on her sugar cookies, apparently that was a thing in Trinidad.

It reminded me of a Jamaican women I met who would eat a slice of cheddar cheese draped over her oatmeal cookie.


Somewhere along the way I heard that people in Wisconsin put cheddar cheese on their apple pie.  


People in Pennsylvania eat scrapple!  


All of these odd foods people eat got me thinking about how it's not odd to them because it's commonly eaten in their region.  What other weird combinations are out there and are they worth trying?  I tried a few and decided to put them on my blog.  If you've heard of an odd dish eaten in a certain area, please share it with me, I'd love to continue to add to this post...  


My aunt Carol made me these often when I would visit her.  I thought they were amazing...still do!  Carol's Cherry Poppers


My mom taught me about this tasty breakfast or treat.  I think someone made for her in NY, not positive but either way I always thought it was pretty good.  Nana's Bananas and Cream


My neighbor taught me about pear salad.  I never would have imagined these ingredients together or that it is as popular as it is but a quick google search and I saw that lots of people enjoy this odd concoction.  My neighbor is from Alabama.  Tamara's Pear Salad


Another trick my neighbor taught me.  Not sure if this is an Alabama thing or not but I've never heard of it and thought it was really good!  Strawberries 'n Creme

My derby wife, Jessica, is from Kentucky and her mom would make her this sandwich growing up.  I've never heard of it and it did not sound appealing at all but once again a quick google search and I saw that she wasn't the only one eating this odd sandwich!  I made one and had my family try it, surprisingly everyone thought it was ok!  Susie's Peanut Butter and Bologna Sandwich


I've heard of pickled eggs before made with pickled beats and I ate them growing up.  They seem to be really popular in Pennsylvania especially near the amish and recently I was introduced to mustard eggs which have a deviled egg flavor to them.  I like both but I think they definitely belong on this list: pickled eggs and mustard eggs

I read about this sandwich online and had to try it.  Several people claimed it was an Ohio staple and is often served at concession stands.  I found it to be rather bland but was assured that was normal.   It has potential depending on what you add to season it.  For the purpose of keeping it "traditional" I leave it plain and let you decide how to season it.  Definitely a quick and easy meal!  Ohio Hot Chicken Sandwich

SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

  1. Poutine! One of the best Canadian creations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment