THINKING ABOUT EASTER!

Easter is nearly a month away and I cannot stop thinking about all the new foods I'd like to attempt this year, along with some of the traditional dishes we make each year...

A little secret about me, I am addicted to genealogy.  I have a membership to newspapers.com to assist in my research and on the side I LOVE looking up old recipes that were published many years ago.  I stumbled across this article a while back and have been dying to try it.  We've always made our ham somewhat similar but not exact to this so this year we will be trying this recipe out.  I love the variations at the bottom!






















My mother use to make this sweet bread with decorated eggs and sprinkles each year for Easter.  It was my favorite food item on my plate and couldn't wait for Easter to eat this delicious bread.  I later found out that it is a traditional Italy Easter bread made in Italy...I found this out while living in Italy and thought that was pretty neat.  When I found out that I am half Italian I thought it was amazing that I've been baking this traditional bread that is also part of my heritage!  Here is the recipe for the Easter bread I make each year: Easter Bread  However, this year I am contemplating making bread shaped like a bunny for fun, like the one: here















Morning festivities of egg hunting and searching through the Easter baskets in combination with a very early Easter dinner have always taken away from having an Easter breakfast.  Who doesn't just eat candy for breakfast on Easter morning???  I saw this bunny pancake idea and really want to try it this year since they are so adorable!  Bunny Pancakes



















Another recipe that brings back childhood memories is this bunny cake.  I believe it was published in the newspaper back in the 1980s as a betty crocker recipe.  My mother saved the newspaper article and gave it to me.  I need to scan it attach it to this article.  I've made it several times for my family: Bunny Cake  One year I got adventurous and make an Easter kit kat cake, super easy and adorable!  Easter Kit Kat Cake  This year I've been toying with the idea of making a cake similar to the kit kat cake but using kinder bueno chocolates.  Kinder Bueno was my husband's favorite candy while we were stationed in Italy and it is becoming easier and easier to find in stores over here.  I saw a photo of this cake recently and I think this year I may making something similar.

















How about an Easter cocktail?  I love the look of this Peeps cocktail  I think you could make your favorite martini and spruce it up to look this cute.  I'm thinking of a creamy lemon drop martini with vodka, simple syrup, lemon juice and some half and half or heavy cream.  Definitely want to try this!






















With all of these new ideas I think my Easter menu is complete (definitely need to add some cheesy roasted brussel sprouts as a side in there).  Are you going to be traveling with the littles for Easter this year?  This word tracer with travel words will get your little ones in the traveling spirit!  Check out education.com for more reading activities like this.


Comments