PHO

 

There are many recipes for homemade pho broth but I've yet to try them.  I purchased a box of pre-made broth and I loved the flavor and how fast it made this simple soup.  Move over chicken noodle...this soup is amazing when feeling under the weather - especially when you add an extra dose of sriracha! 

Ocean's Halo pho broth (sold by the quart (4 cups) adjust for the amount of people 
Armour original meatballs (frozen - these are my favorite - other brands can be yuck)
Kame rice noodles
optional additions:
limes or real lime juice
thai basil leaves (Italian works ok if that's all you can find)
bean sprouts
sriracha hot chili sauce
hoisin sauce
soy sauce
jalapeños 

Bring broth to a boil and add in however many meatballs you'd like - I usually do about 4/5 per person.  Boil meatballs for about 10 minutes or until heated through.  Once they're done I like to use kitchen shears to cut them in half.  
While the meatballs are cooking, prepare your rice noodles.  Bring water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package and drain.  Set aside until you're ready to assemble soup.
You can assemble the soup all together in one pot using all the additions everyone likes and set aside the ones that need to be added to individual servings.  For example I do not care for bean sprouts, soy sauce or jalapeños in my pho but my husband does so I have a pot of broth, meatballs and rice noodles on the stove for us to get our servings and then we top with what we like.

My bowl is pictured above, it contains broth, meatballs, lime juice, basil, sriracha and hoisin sauce.





Comments