CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS II

I do not normally write stories to go with the recipes on my blog but I feel like this one needs one.  So for years I've been making this crockpot chicken and dumplings,  It's really good and easy.  Recently, I visited Paula Deen's Family Kitchen Restaurant in Pigeon Forge, TN and had the best chicken and dumplings I've ever had.  I kept googling Paula Deen's chicken and dumpling recipe because I just had to make this at home and what I kept seeing was this.  The recipe I kept finding online looked nothing like what I ate at the restaurant and I knew it was off because of it's absence of thyme which I happened to really like in this dish.  Upon further google searching I found it!!!  I found a video of Paul Deen making her chicken and dumplings using the recipe printed from the very same restaurant I ate at!  View video here.  Below I'm going to write down the recipe and then a couple changes I made.  I did have an issue with the dumplings I used so next time I will be using a different can of biscuits or make the dumplings the way Paula does.
*In Paula's video she uses fresh thyme in her recipe but I am certain that dried thyme was used in the dish I had.

Paula Deen's Chicken and Dumplings from her Family Kitchen Restaurant 
10 cups water
3lb whole chicken - cut down the back (butterfly) so it'll lay spread out in pot
1 large white onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon chicken stock base
can cream of celery soup
fresh thyme
salt and pepper
3 cups Paula Deen's biscuit mix (or bisquick)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Boil chicken in water with onion, celery, salt and pepper until done and fork tender.
Remove chicken and allow to cool down a bit before picking.
Add chicken stock base, cream of celery soup, thyme, salt and pepper to broth and bring back up to a boil.
Prepare dumplings by mixing biscuit mix with buttermilk.  Roll out dough in extra biscuit mix or flour until 1/4" thick and cut into squares or rectangles.  Drop dumplings into stock, do not stir them - shake pot gently to get stock over top of the dumplings to help them cook evenly.  Boil dumplings for about 5-8 minutes.
Pick chicken while dumplings cook.  Add chicken to soup once dumplings are done.

How I made it
10 cups water
6 chicken thighs
1 large white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chicken base
1 teaspoon each of garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, pepper, dried thyme
1 pint heavy cream
1 can biscuits

Boil chicken in water with onion, chicken base and all seasonings for about 20 minutes or until thighs are done.
Flatten biscuits to 1/4" thick and cut into quarters.
Drop biscuits into boiling stock and cook for about 15 minutes or until done.  Do not stir the biscuits, shake pot if needed.
Cut up chicken and add to pot and add more seasonings as needed.  I ended up adding a lot more salt, pepper and thyme until it tasted just right.  Add heavy cream, turn off heat and serve.  
  
 

Comments