SOURDOUGH POTATO BREAD




This recipe is from Mrs. Carolyn White of Brownsville, TN.  She baked and sold this bread out of her home for 50 years!  Sadly, Carolyn passed away in 2015 but a friend of hers passed on her recipe.  I will post her directions below and some tips and photos below that.  Click on the paper directions to open the full file and print for yourself and/or any friends you may want to share your start with!

When you pull your jar out to make bread give it a good stir and pour out 1 cup for your bread.  If you wish to keep this starter going so you can bake from it again, treat the remaining cup in your jar as day 3.  Feed, sit out for 12 hours and return to fridge.  If you wish to give away 1 cup of starter to a friend, you can skip baking and pour 1 cup to share, print the directions and tell them to start at Day 3 or they can bake with it.  

On baking day for first rise I left my dough in my mixing bowl, covered and put on top rack in my oven.  I put a boiling pot of water on the bottom of the oven, this allows the bread to proof faster which is helpful with this bread because it takes a while.
dough right out of mixer
cleaned and greased mixing bowl.  put dough back in to allow to rise.
dough rose 2" and looked doubled to me

At this point I removed the dough and divided in half.  I kneaded and shaped each loaf and placed in two different loaf pans because I was trying to see which one I liked best for baking this bread.  More on that later.  I put the loaves back in the oven with another pot of boiling water to help it rise faster.  This process took much longer than the first rise.  You want the dough to come up to the top of your loaf pan.
dough before second rise


dough after second rise
baked 30 min
I used two different loaf pans to figure out which one I liked better for baking this particular bread.  The wilton nonstick was larger so I did not prefer the size of the loaf however it did release the loaf better.  The glass pan is smaller so I liked the shorter, taller loaf better however it didn't release the loaf as easy even though I greased it beforehand.  It still came out ok, I just had to run a knife around the edges to get it to come out.


Comments