SUGAR CREAM PIE



1 deep dish pie shell
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
2 cups half and half
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
nutmeg

In a sauce pan combine sugar, corn starch and half and half.  Heat over medium high heat while constantly whisking.  As soon as the mixture thickens remove from heat.  (It'll go from a milky texture to a pudding texture very quick!  Remove from heat immediately or else it'll burn)
Whisk in butter and vanilla until well combined and pour into pie crust.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake at 350ยบ for 20 minutes or until set.
Allow to cool on counter for about an hour and chill in fridge overnight before serving.
*If you are using a homemade pie crust you may need to pre-bake for 10 minutes or so before.


Back story to how this pie made it's way into our home.  While shopping at an antique store somewhere in Southern Maryland, my husband and I came upon the recipe for Amish Cream Pie cross stitched and framed.  I thought it was so unique and I love old traditional recipes so I took a photo of it vowing to attempt to make it one day.
Years later during the insane corona 2020 quarantine I finally decided to give it a shot and it was an epic fail.  I posted about it on facebook and a friend informed me that this was Indiana's State pie: Sugar Cream Pie and gave me a better recipe to try from one of her friends.  This time it turned out fantastic!



Amish Cream Pie that didn't set up so well.  The flavor was good but the texture was not.

Comments