RAVIOLA


Raviola is an Italian pastry that I absolutely loved while living in Sicily.  It is warm sweetened ricotta inside a flaky crust.  It was sold at coffee shops and served as a breakfast item.  I haven't really seen anything like it in the US so I attempted to make my own and I'm pretty happy with the results!

1 package puff pastry
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
dash of vanilla extract
egg

Using a rolling pin, roll puff pastry out on floured cutting board making it slightly larger than it is.  Cut into 6 even squares.
Mix ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla extract together and scoop evening among squares.
Fold one corner of square down to meet opposite corner and use a fork to seal the edges.
Beat egg in a bowl and brush tops of pastry with the egg.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown at 425*
Once slightly cooled but still warm, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.








Comments