PUERTO RICAN NEIGHBORS

When I was a little girl we lived next to a Puerto Rican family who would share their food with us often.  I loved when they brought a dish to share!  Any time my mother would reciprocate and send a dish over to them they always returned our dish full of food they made.  My absolutely favorite dishes they would send over were tostones (twice fried plantains), pasteles and arroz con pollo (chicken and rice).   *I haven't attempted pasteles yet but the recipe linked here is the first one I would like to try. 

I would hang out at their house and remember they always had sesame candy sitting out in dishes and they would give me coffee that was sweet and very light, mostly milk with just a touch of coffee.

I love those memories of Pete and Irma from my childhood and I would love to be able to cook those dishes for my family.  I've tried on many occasions but just cannot find a recipe that comes close to theirs.  I will continue to try and post the recipes I use on here along the way.
sesame candy (sesame crunch by Joya)

Comments