Friday, August 13, 2010
ICE CUBE TRAYS
1. For leftover wine. If you haven’t quite finished a whole bottle, pour the rest into an ice cube tray to use for making sauces and soups later.
2. For freezing coffee or tea to keep iced coffees and teas cold without watering them down.
3. For separating a week’s worth of vitamins and pills.
4. For freezing fresh lemon and lime juice by the tablespoon to avoid wasting fruit.
5. For freezing leftover soup. Just drop a few cubes into a thermos to take to work and microwave when ready to eat.
6. For freezing homemade stocks. One ice cube is usually equivalent to two tablespoons. Which means 2 cubes = ¼ cup, 4 cubes = ½ cup, 6 cubes = ¾ cup, 8 cubes = 1 cup
7. For storing and jewelry (and preventing it from turning into a tangled mess).
8. As a painter’s palette.
9. For freezing and storing homemade baby food (just steam and puree veggies, and add water until you get to the desired consistency).
10. To freeze lemonade or other juices to drop into iced teas or water for an added fruity twist.
11. As jello molds for kid-size portions.
12. For freezing pesto; just drop a cube or two into your pasta when it’s time to eat.
13. For organizing your junk drawer.
14. To use as a popsicle maker. Pour juice, fruit purees, or pudding into the tray, cover with foil, and poke wooden sticks through the foil into each compartment.
15. Freeze tomato paste so you always have some on-hand when a recipe calls for one or two tablespoons.
16. Keep one in the laundry area as a catchall for loose change and other odds and ends that surface as you’re sorting clothes.
17. If you are making something that only calls for egg yolks, use the ice cube trays for freezing whites to thaw out and use later.
18. Use as a candy mold for homemade confections.
19. If you’re taking something apart, whether that be a chair or a keyboard, use an ice cube tray to keep all the screws and little bits at arm’s reach and separate.
20. For freezing freshly chopped herbs.
21. To separate and organize seeds. Growing starter plants.