Wednesday, March 24, 2010
SHRUNKEN APPLE HEADS
Firm, unbruised granny smith apple
marker or pencil
1 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon salt
Peel and core apple.
Use a pencil or marker to draw facial features (eyes, nose, mouth)
Combine lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Soak apple for 30 seconds. Pat dry.
Set apple in a warm, dry spot for several days, the apple will shrink and distort.
Touch up facial features with knife as needed.
• When your heads are near dry use a curved upholstery needle and thread to sew the lips of your apple shut like authentic shrunken heads.
• Add hair from an old Halloween wig to your apple head to look more authentic.
• Add long grain white rice for teeth.
• Add whole cloves for eyes.
• Color your apple head with charcoal or paint with food coloring.
• Preserve your apple head with a coat of shellac or wood sealer.
• Add witches hats or other clothing to make small dolls.
project from: http://www.marthastewart.com/268080/shrunken-apple-heads