Thursday, February 25, 2010
PINA COLADA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup brown sugar
16 oz can pineapple slices
1/2 cup maraschino cherries (15-20 cherries)
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 can (13.25 oz) unsweetened coconut milk
1 tsp rum extract
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in 12-in Skillet over low heat (do not use stainless cookware). Brush sides of Skillet with butter. Remove from heat; sprinkle brown sugar over butter and set aside.
2. Drain pineapple slices. Set one ring aside and cut the rest in half. Arrange the pinapple halves around outer edge of Skillet; place the ring in center. Place one cherry in center of pineapple ring and additional cherries around outside of ring.
3. Combine cake mix, eggs, coconut milk and rum extract; whisk until well blended. Carefully pour batter over pineapple in Skillet.
4. Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, place coconut into Small Micro-Cooker; microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until toasted, stirring after each 30-second interval. Remove cake from oven; cool 5 minutes. Invert cake onto round Platter; gently press coconut around top edge and sides of cake.
* I wanted more coconut flavor, you can add coconut extract to the cake mix.