Saturday, October 17, 2009
STRAWBERRY AMARETTO SQUARES
1/2 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed
1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups thawed, frozen whipped topping
12 large strawberries, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Unfold pastry dough onto pan. Finely chop half of the almonds. Combine chopped almonds and granulated sugar; sprinkle evenly over surface of dough. Lightly press almond mixture into dough.
2. Using Pizza Cutter, cut dough lengthwise into three strips; cut strips crosswise into four squares for a total of 12 squares. Separate squares evenly over surface of pan. Bake 16-18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, place remaining almonds in Sauté Pan. Cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and cool completely. Coarsely chop and set aside.
4. Whisk sour cream, powdered sugar and almond extract. Fold in whipped topping. Slice strawberries. Split open each pastry square; arrange half of the strawberries into bottom of each shell. Top each with about 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling and sprinkle with chopped almonds. Top with remaining sliced strawberries. Zest orange over strawberries. Place tops of pastry shells over filling. Serve immediately.
* I do not use the orange zest