Saturday, October 17, 2009
Nonstick cooking spray with flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp dark rum, divided
1 pkg yellow cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
3 limes, divided
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp mint extract
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray Torte Pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Place 8-in. circles of Parchment Paper over centers of pans; set aside.
2. Substituting 1/2 cup of the rum for 1/2 cup of the water, prepare cake mix according to package directions. Whisk batter 1 minute. Divide batter between pans, spreading evenly to edges. Bake 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into centers comes out clean.
3. For glaze, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and remaining 2 tbsp rum. Remove pans from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Invert one cake onto Platter. Invert second cake onto cooling rack. Brush wells of both cakes with glaze.
4. For filling, zest two of the limes to measure 2 tsp zest. Juice zested limes to measure 3 tbsp juice. Combine juice, zest, cream cheese, mint extract and remaining 1 cup sugar. Whisk briskly until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and mix until very thick. Attach open star tip to Decorator; fill with 1/2 cup of the filling and set aside.
5. Slice remaining lime. Cut slices into quarters. Spread half the remaining filling into well of cake on platter. Carefully place cake well-side up over filling. Spread remaining filling into well. Pipe rosettes around cake; garnish with lime slices.