FIRE ROASTED TOMATO SOUP

 


I have a memorable experience from our most recent Carnival Cruise that still makes me chuckle.  My husband and I and our two friends had just ordered brunch and we were chatting away while waiting for the food to arrive.  The waiter appears and places a bowl in front of me, that I remember having what looked like one crouton and one parmesan cheese shaving leaning up against it.  I stared into the empty bowl in disbelief and could not for the life of me remember what I had ordered.  I looked up at my husband and asked him if he remembered right as the waiter started to pour my tomato soup over the garnish.  I laughed so hard!  That soup was THE BEST tomato soup I've ever had in my life.  I searched for a similar recipe online and a man who works for carnival posted the supposed recipe on Facebook - I'm going to type it out below but I have not tried it yet, instead I found a simpler recipe that I tried first.  This fire-roasted tomato soup recipe was amazing!  We LOVED it and will definitely make it again.  It was easy and delicious and the best homemade tomato soup I've ever made.  However the fire roasted flavor wasn't nearly as strong as the soup I remember from the ship, it wasn't as spicy and that version did not include cream (I DID NOT dislike the addition of cream).   I did add garlic butter croutons, parmesan shavings and pepper to the recipe and I swear I could eat this every day!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (can substitute basil)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
garlic butter croutons
parmesan cheese shavings 
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a pot over medium heat, once hot add in onions and garlic and cook for about 3-5 minutes.

Pour in broth, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon cilantro, sugar and red pepper flakes.  Bring mixture to a boil and lower to medium-low, simmer covered for 15 minutes.

Pour soup in batches into a blender and pulse until completely smooth.

Return to pot and heat for about 5 minutes.  Stir in cream and remaining cilantro.  Remove from heat.  Serve with croutons, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.






Carnival's Flamin' Tomato Soup

3 red peppers
1 poblano pepper
2 cloves garlic, sliced thick
3 tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 ? tomato juice
1/2 ? leeks - white part
1/2 onion
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 scallions - white part
1.5 oz olive oil
1 anchovy fillet
1/2 loaf ciabatta bread
salt and pepper to taste
.5 oz grated parmesan
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
.5 liter chicken stock

garnish
homemade bread cut into bite sized wedges and charred
parmesan shave
scallions cut at a slant
olive oil
black cracked pepper
cherry tomato, quartered and charred

Char all vegetables on the grill.  Remove dark skin.  Cook grilled vegetables in a roasting pan until soft.

Crush anchovy in hot oil, add ciabatta and saute.  Add roasted vegetables, chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer until desired consistency.  Blend soup in batches.

Add honey, salt and pepper.  Add grated parmesan and chives.

Place two charred bread wedges in center of bowl.  Garnish with parmesan shave, slant cut scallions and charred cherry tomato quarters.  Drizzle with olive oil and cracked black pepper.  Pour soup over garnish from pitcher.








Comments