SWEET POTATO HOUSE PLANT



I recently read that you can grow a sweet potato indoors as a house plant and it will give you these beautiful ornamental vines.  Place the skinnier end in a jar of water and ensure about half of the potato is submerged in water.  Soon vines should start growing out of the sweet potato, these are called slips and you can leave them for a decorative house plant or you can remove them and plant outside to grow sweet potatoes.  I started my sweet potato pictured above on March 27, 2022.  During the beginning of growth I noticed that my sweet potato leaves were getting this weird crystallization all over the leaves.  I googled it and read if the plant is getting too much water it'll expel the excess moisture out of the leaves and it will crystalize so I planted my sweet potato in dirt and it was much happier!


Tiny roots started to emerge on April 3, 2022!


More roots on April 5, 2022

Lots more roots and 2 tiny sprouts coming from potato on April 22, 2022!!!

April 25, 2022
11 June 2022 - the day I planted in soil
18 June 2022
19 June 2022
19 June 2022 - it's hard to see the vine is going across the length of my entire table and ends at the white orchid pot
21 June 2022





 

Comments