APPLE YEAST WATER



Yeast water is new to me.  I hadn't heard of it until recently and it piqued my interest.  There are lots of articles on the web about its intended use and different ways to make it. 

I used an apple as my fruit of choice.  I've heard raisins are also great to use.  I also read that dried fruit gives more consistent results.  Lots of recipes call for sugar to be added with the fruit - I did not do that.  And I've read that it needs to be refreshed/fed - I did not do that either.  I read that people feed their sourdough starter with this water or use it as a starter entirely or just simply replace the water in a bread recipe with this yeast water - that's what I did.

It was a fun little science experiment.  I did not taste it in the baked bread or really notice a big difference in the bread but it did produce a beautiful loaf!

You will need:
a glass jar with lid
1 apple, cut into chunks
water

Put cut up apple in a glass jar and fill with water, screw on lid.
Twice a day (every morning and evening) take lid off, replace lid and shake the jar.
Do this for 5-7 days.  You should see the carbonation in the water and hear it occasionally when you unscrew the lid.
After about 5-7 days strain water into a container and discard the apples or use them to bake with.  Store the yeast water in the fridge until ready to use.








Below is the bread I baked using the apple yeast water in place of water in the recipe







 

Comments